May 30, 2010

The Alcatraz Challenge


San Francisco, California

This swim is the stuff of legends. I did a lot of training and prepartion for this race because it actually scared me. I have to admit that I had trouble sleeping the night before. The cold water, the strong currents, the sharks, the distance, and let's not forget that people have actually died doing this swim. An unforgettable experience! It is really something to breath to your right and see the Golden Gate Bridge, and then breath to your left and see the Bay Bridge. It is almost hard to beleive that you are really swimming in San Francisco Bay. This race is put on by Tri California and they did a awesome job. I thought the breifing was very thorough. The swag was great and I think most people appreciate that because this is once race I like to tell people about. We all got a bag, a sweatshirt, a knit cap and the right to tell people we swam Alcatraz for the rest of our lives.