September 15, 2012

Bike Crash & Injuries

Gilbert, AZ

I went down on my bike on September 15, 2012. I broke a few things including my left clavicle and some ribs. But by far the worst break was my heart. I will have to wait another year to complete Ironman Arizona. I had surgery on my clavicle on September 26, 2012. This is an X-ray of my titanium plate on the day it was installed:





The picture below is my plate. How cool is that it is blue? The company that makes my Locking Superior Distal Clavicle Plate is called Acumed. Acumed color codes their plates. Blue is for left clavicles, and green for right clavicles. Now even under my skin my color scheme remains blue. I have 10 screws. Not all the holes have screws in them.
 
Installed below: 

 
 
Basically the surgery involves opening your shoulder up and screwing in the plate. Below is and illustration. The illustration does involve my particular plate but you can get the idea:


The plate does have some depth and I can feel it. Below is picture of another Acumend model installed on a clavicle:


By the way, in all my research of those who have experience with clavicle breaks, none of them had three to their credit. I guess that makes me a virtual expert on the subject. I have had three different types of breaks, in three different decades, with three different treatment approaches, on three different types of bikes – Motorbike, Mountain bike, and a road bike. That has got to qualify for the collarbone hat trick.
 

I shouldn’t forget the ribs, especially since they were by far more painful. Imagine Driving a railroad spike into your back and twisting it. I marked below in red where my ribs broke:
 
 


By the way, from my research I learned that Lance Armstrong has exactly the same plate as I do. He broke his collarbone into 4 pieces so they used 2 more screws than mine. Lance has 12 screws, and I have 10 screws, but the plate is the same. Armstrong’s plate is the right clavicle while mine is the left. Here is Lance Armstrong’s X-ray:
 
My orthopedic surgeon, Dr. George Myo did a great job and I would highly recommend him. I saw him 11 days after my accident. I wish I had seen him earlier. He took X-rays at his office and went over them to me. I had been severely misdiagnosed in the Emergency room. He explained things and went over my options. Once the decision to go forward with surgery was made, he had me scheduled for surgery the very next morning. I had a bad experience with staples after a surgery years ago and asked Dr. Myo if he would make sure to use sutures. He went one step further and used dissolvable sutures and left me with an incision site that a plastic surgeon would be impressed with. Thanks Dr. Myo!