October 6, 2012

Arizona Half Marathon & 5K


 

Goodyear, Arizona


          Last night was the first night I went to bed without pain medication. I didn’t take any all day yesterday either. I wanted to be able to drive this morning so we didn’t miss this race. Dr. Myo said it would be ok to walk a 5k so I transferred my registration from the half marathon we didn’t waste the money on another race and so Christian could at least run this race. I have been unable to compete in all of the other races I had registered for this fall due to my accident.
            Today was the first day I could tie my own shoes. I walked outside and loved the cool 70 degree morning air that greeted me. It has been almost a month that I have been trapped inside bed ridden mending my broken body. The weather has changed from a furnace to nice fall (at least Arizona fall weather). I couldn’t help but long to be training in the wonderful weather for Ironman Arizona.
            It was very humbling to have to walk the entire race with a button up shirt on. I can’t even get a T-shirt on yet. Guess what?  Walking a 5k is no picnic. At least it wasn’t for me. It has only been 9 days since my surgery so I am sure that had something to do with it. I hated having to walk across the finish line. It was embarrassing for me.

            I am glad we did this race however, because this race is part of a series called the Hometown Race series. They put on a race in Goodyear Arizona, Lake Havasu Arizona, Temecula California, Vista California (both a little inland from Oceanside) Gilroy California (near Santa Cruz) and Laughlin Nevada, They all take place on Saturdays and have a 5k associated with them. They are about half the price of the Rock & Roll Marathon series and all within drivable distances. Some of the locations like Lake Havasu and Laughlin are awesome destination locations. Goodbye Rock & Roll Marathon Series . . .  Hello Hometown Race Series!