May 16, 2013

Splash + Dash


Tempe, Arizona

 It was time for some more Thursday night fun. I learned a lesson doing this race. I personally need to skip the wetsuit when the water reaches 77 degrees. I took off and was feeling great. I was drafting behind a pro comfortably holding 3rd place for almost the entire first lap. Towards the end of the first lap I started to burn up. All I wanted to do is peel that wet suit off. My second lap suffered and I felt horrible. I let the pro go and and focused on swimming as fast as I could without burning up. I could not wait for that second lap to be over. I was happy to be able to get out of that suit. Unfortunately for me it is pretty hard to cool down running when the air temperature was just under 100 degrees. I felt way too hot the entire run and suffered accordingly. I felt like I was running horribly. I just told myself that if nothing else, it was good training for the heat in Hawaii. I was surprised to learn afterwards that I ended up 2nd over-all in the swim and managed to complete this distance in my fastest time to date. It just goes to show that perception is not always a good gage.