June 1, 2013

IRONMAN 70.3 Hawaii


 
Kohala Coast, Hawaii

            This remains my favorite race of the year. . . . and favorite trip. Lori ended up flying having to Indiana a few days before the trip to help her Mom. She actually left the kids home before I even got back from San Francisco. That is two years in a row that she has not gone.

The kids and I had a lot of fun together and did a lot of snorkeling. Vayden was fearless and I had her a hundred yards from shore. She really loves the water and made huge progress in swimming this trip. She also fell in love with the lava hot tub at the Fairmont Orchid. She learned to pronounce the State fish, and even got a shirt, which instantly became her favorite. We saw tons of them this year.

Prior to the race start, I was talking to a very nervous guy who was doing the race in board shorts. I tried to calm his nerves and reassure him. I told him to just take it steady. Two days later I heard his voice behind me in the Outback in Kailua. He had made it and we exchanged hugs. Turns out he was the Mayor of Kailua-Kona and was having a meeting with the Board of Supervisors right there in Outback. He is the guy who fires the cannon every year at the World Championships.

I am not going to detail my race this year, but what I can say about the race this year, is that it was HOT! I was so hot on that run. One of the locals told me that we ended up racing in what turned out to be the hottest day since a record set back in the 1960’s. It was brutal. I managed to cut off two minutes from last year. Every year I seem to cut off two minutes. 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment