September 12, 2010

Tri Rock San Diego

San Diego, California

This was the inaugural race for this series. It was put on by the Competitor Group which also does the Rock & Roll Marathon Series. This race was sold out. This is the first triathlon I have done where we had assigned transition spots with a name plate. The racks were made out of wood and evenly spaced with a box for you stuff. I loved that. No fighting for a spot. My spot was a great one too. I thought the race was top notch. Everything was well marked and well staffed. There were cones every six feet on the bike route. There was a rock band playing on the boat for the swim. I was first out of the water in my age group division and swim heat with a time of 6:44 for the 500 meters. That lead was sort lived. Remember how Bostonians can run. Well San Diegans can ride! I watched as one guy after another with age group category 40 tattooed on the back of their left calves passed me on the bike. This race introduced me to Tri Tats. They are temporary tatoos that you put on the night before. Very clean looking. It made it very easy to read all my age groupers as they passed me. The bike course went through the navy yard. It was the roughest and bumpiest course I have ever encountered complete with railroad crossings. I burned myself out on the bike trying to stay with some of those guys and by the time I hit the run I had no legs. It was the hardest 5k for me I have done in quite awhile. The finish line was awesome complete with stadium seating and very impressive and well done finisher medal. The expo was cool and they had eggs, sausage, and pancakes for after race food not to mention the usual stuff. It was a well run race and I would definitely do it again. Well done Competitor Group.