October 17, 2010

Playa Del Rey Triathlon

Playa Del Rey, California

This race was a beach start. I was a little sore and not looking forward to swimming after the tough 2.4 miles I swam only 18 hours before but I warmed up and had a decent swim. The bike course was flat and I felt I turned in a pretty strong performance. There was a slight drizzle for almost the entire race. I was doing good until I hit the run. I don’t know why, but the muscles in the front on my legs in the shin area just cramped up and turned to rock. They became inflexible and painful. Every step hurt. I slowed my run and suffered until I reached the half way point aid station. There I stopped and tried to stretch my legs. It helped and I was able to run better. I hated stopping. I haven’t had to stop on a run for a long time. I am still not sure what happened. This was a well run race by Sporteve. I met a lot of friendly people at this event.