October 9, 2010

Prospector Triathlon

Lake Pleasant, Arizona

While all the greatest triathletes were competing in Kona I decided to do an olympic triathlon out at Lake Pleasant. This was the inaugural race. I decided to swim without a wet suit due to the water being 76 degrees. Now I believe that a wet suit is an advantage. I guess I had to Experience it for myself. I never get passed consistently in the swim. Wetsuit after wetsuit kept going by me. The buoyancy does make difference. I will always wear a wetsuit when legal for now on. There was a lot of wind and the some of the choppiest water I have ever experienced. I have to mention the run up to transition. It was like a half a mile up hill on some very rocky terrain. I wore flip flops for the first time and I am glad I did or I would have tore up my feet up. It was kind of like a swim followed by a duathlon the run was so long. The bike course was up and down, up and down, I actually used the second ring. It was good thing my running legs showed up today because the run required them. It was a two lap course. The course required 2 loops. The loop was a long steady downhill, followed by a long steady uphill run. That steady hill caused more walking than I had ever seen before in a race. I didn’t walk, and I actually preferred the uphill today to the down. The hill wasn’t super steep, just steady and relentless. They gave updates about kona in the transition area. We had was great temperatures. The only place I felt heat was the run, but even then we had a great breeze most of the time. 4 Peaks racing gave us all the oppurtunity to compete today.
4 Peaks Racing