June 4, 2011

IRONMAN 70.3 Hawaii

Kohala Coast, Hawaii

What a race. This was my favorite race so far. The Fairmont Orchid is beautiful and luxurious. What a beautiful place. Everything for the race is on site. Check in, the expo, the race meetings, the bike shop, the gear bag drop off, free shuttles, T2, and the finish. I warmed up in a big living room all by myself outside our hotel room. I hopped aboard a waiting shuttle to Hapuna Beach and T1.
Swim Gorgeous, perfect water temperature and my best 1.2 mile time ever. We swim suspended 70 feet above the corral reefs below with perfect visibility. When you look down it is like flying. I went back and swam this bay two more times before we left Hawaii. I took Christian out there and he was amazed. It is hard to imagine a better swim.
Bike Biking the fabled Queen Kaahumanu highway was everything it was cracked up to be. It rolls more than I had imagined and you have to shift a lot. It is hot and I grabbed water at every aid station. That water is your life. Without it I would not have been able to finish. The water was always cold and I used every drop of it. I have never taken in so much water on the bike. We encountered a head wind climbing into hawi which became a tailwind once you hit the turn around. I was flying down from Hawi.
Run I had long feared this run. I had feared the heat far more than the course itself. If you think the bike is hot, just wait until you get off the bike and hit those humid grass golf course fields and baking lava rocks. The heat did not disappoint. It hits you like a wall once you are off the bike. I was so afraid of dropping on this course that I followed a meticulous nutrition and hydration plan. I started the run with 4 empty fuel belt bottles. I lost one in transition when I bent over, so I had to make it work with 3. Each bottle had 2 scoops of Infinit powder. I learned at Oceanside that I can’t drink it warm after drinking it warm for 3 hours on the bike, so my plan was to fill the bottles with cold water and ice at aid stations as needed. This would also reduce my weight as I ran. The plan worked. I had no problem drinking the Infinint solution as long as it was cold. I also left transition with a pack of Cliff 3X sodium shot bloks in my hand and my fuel belt pouch stuffed full of them. I ate a blok at ever mile, usually just before the aid station. They had aid stations just about every mile. Those aid stations saved my life. They always had cold water, and plenty of ice and sponges. I was using ice and sponges like a mad man. One lady even laughed at me when I grabbed 4 sponges. I would put a sponge in front and in back at my neck line. I would squeeze a third over my head. The fourth I would carry for awhile and squeeze water on my limbs whenever I felt even the slightest breeze. I would drink several cups of water and throw at least one cup of ice in my suit. I actually liked the run. It had a lot of variety and I just made it my goal to make it to the next aid station and before long I was done. It was my slowest half marathon to date, but I ran the entire thing while others walked and many even quit. The local woman who won the race threw up from the heat. After the race was over and Lori was talking about the bridge, the finish line and how it was set up and decorated I realized that I was more over heated than I may have realized as I did not remember any of the things she was talking about. Somehow I had run by all that stuff and not even seen it.
.