November 12, 2011

Shun the Sun 10K


Mesa, Arizona

I wanted to do this race because it was a 10k that ran along the canal and it was close by on a Saturday. I thought it would make a good Saturday morning workout. How could I resist? Of course what was supposed to be a workout turned into close to a personal best. The weather was perfect for me and I started out running really well and then decided if I could keep that pace I would break into the 40’s. A 49:59 would have been just fine to me. I ran a heart breaking 50:00. This was a good fast course. The finish is in the stadium that the Chicago Cubs use for spring training. There are plenty of earlier morning bathrooms. They had an Expo that puts most races to shame. They also gave out these great comfortable shirts too. One of the best shirts I have received all year. I stumbled upon this race just a few days before it took place and registered on site. Good cause, good parking and good post race food. This race needs to advertise a bit more my circles. It was a little gem I found this year by accident. This is a good race that I am going to put on my calendar for next year. I did the 10K, but they have a half marathon distance also.