November 24, 2011

Thanksgiving Day Triathlon


Goodyear, Arizona

Pre-Race Strategy
This is the one reverse triathlon we did last year. Tri Family Racing does a good job with this race and it is great to have the oppurtunity to do a triatlon on Thanksgiving. I had some of my fastest times ever in last year’s event. I wanted to analyze why and figure a race strategy for this year. Upon reflection, this is a good race for me. Since the triathlon is reverse, several factors come into play. The reason behind the reversal is because of the weather. The mornings have become cold this time of year and the race director reverses the order so as not to have wet athletes hitting the bike in the cold morning air. This got me thinking about why I did so well last year. The lighter guys can’t warm up on the bike. The run already has me plenty warm, so when I hit the bike I am warm and stay warm. Even if the lighter guys are able to get warm in a 2 mile run, they can’t stay that way in the wind of the bike. This is my advantage in this race. Now the run is by far my weakest discipline. This race gives me an advantage on the run. The lighter guys start cold and pretty much stay that way resulting in slower run times. Also, psychologically they are probably running more conservatively because they still have two disciplines to go after they complete the run, unlike a normal triathlon where they just have to run to the finish line. These two factor combined makes for slower run times. That coupled with the fact there is a mass start on the run and I am able to keep an eye on my competitors and hopefully stay with them gives me an advantage. My strategy is to keep my rivals in sight and push the run. Then when I hit the bike I will not let any of them get away. I do not have to save anything for after the bike. I can burn my legs to ash, because all I have to do is run 100 yards or so to the pool. Once I am in the pool I know that I can make up time as long as they are not too far out of reach. I will have very few people to dodge and pass, and every one that I do is putting me higher in the rankings.

So the plan was keep them in sight on the run, keep them tight in the bike and swim past them in the pool.

Last year I ran near 7 minute miles followed by 20.13 mph on the bike. I probably can’t do much better on the run, but I think I can improve on the bike, and I have done about 30 seconds better on the swim in past races. Transitions are faster on a reverse triathlon. You are pulling things off as opposed to putting them on. For example socks. Last year’s race remains my fastest sprint to date.




Reality
My plan fell apart right away. The runner’s took off and I couldn’t stay anywhere near them. I just am incapable of currently running like that. I pushed my run to my threshold and jumped on the bike hell bent on making up time. Here is a bit of analysis:

I finished the run in 109th place. I ended up 24th over-all. So from the time I hit the bike until the finish, I passed 78 competitors. What does all this tell me? I am seriously handicapped by my run. When you look at my run it sticks out. I ended up with my best time ever: 0:54:57. But it was only fast enough for 5th place. My run is crippling me. I have got to run faster. To do that, I have got to lose weight. You just can’t run fast enough carrying 240 pounds.