January 15, 2012

Rock & Roll Half Marathon Arizona

Tempe, Arizona

The half marathon course was different from last year. I was looking forward to the change. I wasn’t particularly fond of the old one. This year’s was better from a course aesthetic standpoint, but more difficult from a time perspective. While most people would say that it is a flat course and it essentially is, there is a slight elevation gain for the first 10 miles. At first it is virtually unnoticeable, but as time wears on, the slight incline wore into my pace. Maybe people who don’t have to carry 240 pounds wouldn’t be affected, but I noticed it. My pace immediately got better in the closing miles of the race when it either flattened out or headed slightly down hill. I think it is a good course, just not one that I will probably be breaking any of my records on. Weather conditions were perfect for running and Christian and I go the Desert Double Down Medal today.

*