March 11, 2012

Southwest Valley Regional YMCA Olympic Triathlon



Goodyear, Arizona
This was the first triathlon of 2012. I needed to dust of the winter cobwebs before I hit the harbor in Oceanside. The swim was the most brutal pool swim I have ever encountered. It was fairly normal until my third trip through the pool. A bunch of us with equal swimming ability just bunched up and it was kill or be killed for the entire 3rd trip through the pool. I did well on the bike and struggled for the first 4 miles to find my running legs on the run, but in the end, today was my fastest Olympic distance race to date. I finished in 2:30:48 which is about 8 minutes faster than I have ever done before. I did this race last year and I was faster in all three disciplines. I did not feel very fast on the run however. I ended up in 4th place in my age group.