April 15, 2012

Marquee Triathlon



 Tempe, Arizona


The weather forecast predicted rain for the two days prior to this race. Last year rain run-off ruined Tempe Town Lake and we couldn’t swim. The triathlon turned into a duathlon by changing the swim into a 5k run. This year although it threatened, the sky held. The night before when we dropped off our bikes in transistion there was a lot of wind and we wrapped our bikes just like last year to protect them from any overnight rain. I had just picked up my bike from Focus. Mike had to replace the chain and complete some other work to recuperate it from Oceanside. Sand got in everywhere. I just got my bike cleaned up and hoped it wouldn't rain.



Both Christian and I did the Olympic distance. This was Christian's first Olympic and he did very well. The weather was great for the whole race. Not too hot. The bike was a little windy. They moved the transition area this year and I did not walk it through which was a stupid mistake. When I ran in from the swim I got confused and couldn’t find my bike because I was looking for it on the on the wrong set of rows. I wasted a good 2 minutes at least dong that thinking a had lost my mind. The whole time is was right behind me. So that is 2 stupid minutes I could have avoided by walking the transition prior to the race. My swim continues to be slow. I need to get back in the pool and do some work. They made some changes on the run course, which I liked.