January 22, 2013

Another Bike Crash!


 
GILBERT, ARIZONA

I have been riding in the garage for some time now for several reasons. First, it is safe and I don’t have to worry about re-injuring my still mending bones. Second, it has been very cold this winter. Third, I have been trying to acclimate to Panama by running on some space heaters and humidifiers to raise the temperature and the humidity levels in the garage while I ride.

Today however I wanted to get my last long ride in outside since it was a warm afternoon and I wanted to spend some time on the bike I would be riding and in the saddle I would be riding in Panama. I set out to do 45 miles on Garden Circle. I was doing well, feeling strong and good about my riding fitness with only 5 miles to go when a woman in a white SUV turned left right in front of me. I was going about 22-23 miles per hour at the time and I locked up my brakes. The bike felt like it was on ice. I eventually had to lay it down to avoid hitting her. While I was still sliding across the asphalt I was already thinking about the fact that Panama was in 12 days. I went down on my right side this time. I suffered some bad road rash on my right arm and right leg. My right shoulder ended up sore and I did some pretty extensive damage to my bike and destroyed my ipod case and right shoe. I had some bruising on my right quad and the top of my right foot.  I got up and accessed my body making sure nothing was broken or dislocated. The woman stopped but did not get out of her car. I told her that I had just got healed and this was my first long ride outside since September. She apologized and I was so mad I just told her to go. I should have got her information so I could submit my bike repair bill to her.

I walked my bleeding body and broken bike back to the house. Vayden was horrified. She hates the sight of blood. Then I began the painful process of taking a shower and scrubbing out all the dirt and gravel that was ground into my body. I sang a church hymn in the shower to help me with the painful process. While still in the shower I made a decision. Once out of the shower I started to get dressed again and Christian asked me what I was doing. I told him I needed to get my run in, because I knew that I would be too sore in the next few days to do it. I went out and ran at race pace. Sweat mingled with blood and dripped from my arm and leg as I ran. Blood, sweat and Tears! The tears were Vayden’s when she saw me. I only would have cried if I broke something and had to miss out on Panama. It felt good to run. I was angry and very happy at the same time to still be functional. I know that I was blessed. I would suffer some pain and discomfort, but I would be able to race in Panama. It could have been a lot worse and I know that the Lord was watching out for me.

I could not fall asleep until 5:00 am because of the intense burning sensation. I had trouble sleeping for many days. I stayed out of the pool for a few days, and when I got back in my scabs turned to this hanging skin that flapped as I swam and by the end of the swim, it hung down from my arm several inches. I went home from the gym and Lori was gaging when I asked her to cut it off. Two days after the accident  my neck would convulse into spasms for most of the day causing some pretty extreme pain. The neck problem prevented me from training for about two days. This incident caused me great pain but I was able to come away from it missing very little training and healthy enough to attempt Panama.