August 24, 2013

Anthem Sprint Triathlon


 
Anthem, Arizona

When we woke up in Gilbert it was a normal morning, as we headed toward anthem, the closer we got the more rain we encountered. I wasn’t really worried about the rain, although I prefer not to race in rain. I was paying more attention to lighting. I know that race directors will cancel a swim if they even hear a rumor of lighting, and sure enough that is what happened with this race. Even though I did not hear or see any lighting or thunder within an hour of the start of the race, they cancelled the swim and I ended up doing my second Duathlon. I had signed up to compete as a Clydesdale and came in 1st that division. After the results were posted some guy decided to switch divisions and I ended up with second. I did not even know you could do that. Sometimes I sign up as a Clydesdale, sometimes I sign up in my age group. Hills and elevation usually influence my decision making process. Many a time when the results are in I wished I had chosen differently, but I always thought that it just the way the ball bounces. You are not allowed to compete in both or switch. This switch particularly pissed me off for two reasons: 1) the guy was no Clydesdale; 2) my swim would have erased his him.

No comments:

Post a Comment