September 7, 2013

Nautica Malibu Triathlon



Malibu, California

With my wife and daughter out of town, it was time for a race weekend in California. I had lined up three races. This is the second time I have done this race. I have had a great experience both times. It is an all-around good race. It seems to be a good course for me. I led my division and my heat in the swim. I led my division in the bike which does not happen very often, but I could not find my running legs and ended up second. Christian raced his new tri bike for the first time and placed second in his division also.

Christian and I were walking out to the swim when we heard a familiar voice walking behind us. It was two time World Champion Chris McCormack. We have been to many races in California where Maca just shows up. No fan-fare or anything, he just likes to race. He goes back to back too. The year he won Kona last he raced and won both races we picked to do this exact same weekend. That year it surprised me to see him out racing local races back to back a month away from the World Championships. It works for him. The guy likes to race and I can certainly get understand that. Running out in the other direction, Christian gave Maca a high five as he headed towards the finish line to win the race.  As if one world Champion weren’t enough I was surprised to see the familiar red TYR tri-suited Chrissie Wellington there as part of relay team.

               

No comments:

Post a Comment