April 10, 2011

Marquee Triathlon



Tempe, Arizona

Because of rain, this Olmypic triathlon turned into an Olympic Duathlon. Apparently the recent rains washed too much debris and dirt into Tempe Town lake for officials to give the green light for human swimming. Since the swim is my strongest discipline that did not make me happy. Also, since I am still in recovery mode from Ironman 70.3 California a week ago, the additional 3.1 miles of running was not exactly exciting good news for me either. I didn’t want to miss this triathlon because the bike course follows the same exact course as Ironman Arizona and I wanted to check it out. When I signed up, I thought it might be pushing it, but I could handle a 10k after a week of recovering. The 6.2 miles became two runs and a total of 9.3 miles. The first run went well. I cranked the bike course because that is why I was there. I held a 20+ mile and hour average which is good for me. It is a great course built for my biking strengths. The second run was difficult and painful. My left butt cheek cramped about 2 miles into the run and caused some of the worst pain I have suffered running. I did not stop however and it actually let up at about 5 miles. I was running slow however. Normally I would say this would be a good run course for me however. The run course closely mirrors Ironman Arizona also. I need some rest for more poor legs. They have been through a lot in the past week. My son Christian continues to amaze by placing 2nd place in the age category of 1-19. Red Rock Company puts on an excellent race.

*