May 1, 2011

OC Half Marathon




New Port Beach, California
Although they advertise this marathon as a fast flat race, it was the least flat of the 6 half marathons I have done. California’s definition and Arizona’s definition of flat seems to be two different things. I was feeling good and took off at a pretty good pace. I wanted to beat my best time given what I anticipated from the course. This race has s a net elevation loss and I figured I could run it fast. I put the official elevation chart below. It is not accurate. I remember so many little hills, both up and down.

*

I wouldn't call this one is more either:

*

The race takes off uphill for about the first mile. I ran it fast full of tapered strength and excitement. Then at about a mile you hit this steady significant decline that goes for the next 2 miles. With my legs pumped up from a mile of incline, I decided I wanted make some good time on that downhill. I was pacing at way under my goal of 9 minute miles and feeling good. At about 2 miles and half way down the hill my left calf seized with a cramp. I tried to run through it and switched to heel striking to see if I could release it. I finally had to stop and use the curb to stretch it. I got it to release enough to continue in pain. The cramp troubled me for the next 2 miles or so and cost me the time I had gained in the first few miles and I would feel the cramp threatening on hills whether up or down for the rest of the race. I managed to keep a 9 minute average and finish at a 01:57:57. It was the most interesting and beautiful course of all the half marathons I have run. There was lots of crowd support too. I had opted not to carry water, so I was disappointed when the course had very few water stations. Other than that, I thought it was a well run race and would recommend it.

*