October 9, 2011

Long Beach Half Marathon



Long Beach, California

This was supposed to be a sort of training run for me on my way to Ironman 70.3 Austin. I was supposed to finish under 2 hours and collect my beach cities challenge medal and start tapering. The competitor in me had other ideas. The course mostly flat and I picked up a pace bracelet at the expo and set out to run a 1:55. I thought maybe if I had a good day I could pull that off. My best half marathon previously was 01:57:53. That was almost a year ago, and I have been slower ever since. I had high aspirations of shaving off 3 minutes. Guess what? I ran a 01:50:23! I shaved off almost 8 minutes. This marathon had some cool interactive data. My average speed was 7.1 mph. I ran an 8.25 minute average mile and I passed 236 runners and 65 runners passed me from the start. I was at 00:49:51 for the 10K. That’s running 7.5 mph and an 8:01 mile average pace. That is a fast 10K for me especially given that I was pacing for a half marathon.
I liked this course, it was tailor made for my strengths. I also completed my beach cities challenge and collected that medal today.

.