October 16, 2011

Seville Triathlon


Gilbert, Arizona

I have always liked this race. The best way I can describe it is . . . luxurious. I say that for several reasons. First, for me it is a 10 minute drive since it takes place right here in Gilbert. It takes place at a great facility. Every time I have done this race I can park and literally walk 30 yards across the road to transition. It makes leaving things in the car very easy. You can go back and forth without any problem. Some races you have to park your car so far away that even a single trip back is made impossible. They hold this race at Seville twice a year during perfect weather conditions. It is not too hot or too cold. The facility is like a resort, and with the wonderful weather you can walk around barefoot prior to the swim. The transition area is great. There are these palm trees with white lights wrapped around them that make it look beautiful in the early morning darkness. The pool area is fantastic. Prior to the swim you can lounge around on these couches with a beautiful view of the golf course and the San Tan Mountains. You can just sit there and relax as you watch the sun come up. Most triathlons you can’t even find a place to sit. At Seville there is music floating through the loud speakers system to further make the morning relaxing. While your typical triathlon involves long lines at port a potties, at Seville I have never experienced a line at the luxurious bathroom facilities which are always clean. The race itself is also very nice. There is a warm up pool, and the water temperature of the water is great, not too hot. The run to transition is rock free. The bike course is flat and takes place on some of the smoothest, cleanest roads you will find in racing. The run is a stress free out and back where you can keep track of competitors with a slight incline at the end to make any final sprints a tad more interesting. After the race is over there are plenty of chairs and couches to sit around on in the shade while you wait for results and awards.Like I said it is just an all around enjoyable luxurious race. Based on the result sheets it looked like I was going to place. I might even get first. I have never gotten first in a triathlon. I have managed to get second a few times. As it ended up, I did not get first. It never occurred to me that I could place in the over-All, so when they called my name I was shocked. I know that being in the over-All is a far greater honor than winning an age group, but I was still disappointed that the 1st place medal remains elusive to me. I was 5th in the Over-All! I was standing up there with the real triathletes. I am still in shock. I think a lot of people were equally shocked. They must have been thinking there was some kind of mistake. What is that fat dude doing up there? I mean the guys I was up there with have like 1% body fat and are indistinguishable from professional triathletes. Everyone knows who these guys are, because they are always up there. I still can’t believe I got to stand up there with them. It must have been a slow day.

No comments:

Post a Comment