October 7, 2011

Splash + Dash


Tempe, Arizona

These splash & Dashes are always pretty laid back. My son Christian and I have done them in the past, but tonight was different. The water was still pretty warm at 76 Degrees. It was a wetsuit legal race however. I wore my suit and got a little overheated during the swim, but I still managed to swim the 1500 meters faster than I ever have, even if it was only one second faster. Since we are running in the Long Beach Half Marathon in a couple days I didn’t push the run, I just enjoyed it. It was twilight as the run began and the sky was a glow with red an orange. There was cool fall breeze that dried my tri suit as we ran the edge of lake with the lights from the brides shining on the water. Tempe was beautiful tonight. I am glad that 4 Peaks Racing puts on these races and gives us these opportunities on a Thursday night. I could have easily turned around and run that 5K again. I finished with a fast last mile and crossed the finish line feeling great. As I sipped my water and looked south across the lake my thought turned to running these paths in the evening on a night in November of 2012.

.