November 3, 2012

Desert Grande Triathlon


 

Casa Grande, Arizona

 

          Somehow this race has managed to escape my radar for the past several years. It is a Saturday race too. At first I was just going to bring Christian to the race and cheer him on, but then I decided I would just wish I were doing the race.  I could have made excuses, after all Dr. Myo told me I am not supposed to be riding a bike for 3 more weeks.  

          It was a good race. I liked the swim. I always prefer 50 meter pool swims to 25. After passing a few people who lined up wrong in the first two lengths I had a clear lane for the rest of the swim. My left side did well and I even managed to place 2nd in my division in the swim. Not bad for having surgery 5 weeks ago. 

          The bike was unremarkable but a decent course for me. I thought I was working it hard. I even got a stomach ache from some lactic acid build up. I was shocked to learn afterwards that it took me over 36 minutes to complete 10 miles. My average was 16 mph. Wow, my fitness has declined substantially over the past two months. Today was the first day I actually road a bike other than once around Garden Circle last night just to see if I could remember how to ride a bike. I just can’t believe I only had a 16 mph average after how hard I was working on the bike.

          The run was my favorite part of the course. Now I did not particularly enjoy the run today because I of my lack of fitness. By the time I got to the run my body was having issues. How sad is that. I was struggling on a sprint triathlon. I liked the run because it went through the desert. My run was horrible however. I managed to run the entire 3 miles which was and accomplishment all by itself, but my average was 10 minute miles.

          I definitely want to do this race again, especially when I am in better shape. This race did wonders for pulling me out of my injury induced depression. I have been struggling to eat right and even stretch let alone work out lately.