November 16, 2012

Gilbert Days 5K


 

Gilbert, Arizona

 

            This is a rare Friday night 5K and it is right here in Gilbert. Christian and I did this race last year. This this year Vayden and Lori joined us. They did the 1 mile run and Christian and I did the 5K. Despite my best efforts, Christian beat me. I know that I am out of shape and still recovering from everything, but I still wanted to beat the kid. I stayed ahead of him for the first two miles and then he made his move. He saw me on a turn around and then he knew that he didn’t have much distance to close on me. He just pulled up next to me and without a word passed me by. At first my goal was to just keep him close, but my body couldn’t even do that. There was one last out and back where I saw that he was about 50-60 yards ahead of me. I could tell he was satisfied with his lead.  I thought maybe his complacency would allow me to close the gap. Try as I may I couldn’t do it. I picked up the pace and my body started shutting down. It wasn’t a pain management issue.  It just wouldn’t listen to me. I crossed the finish line panting and knew I had given it everything I had today. It just wasn’t enough. Despite how crappy I felt during this run and how hard it was for me I was only about a minute slower than last year. A minute is a lot of time in a 5K, but it could be worse.