December 1, 2012

Arizona Skin Cancer 5K


Scottsdale, Arizona

This was a nice little race. Both Christian and I liked the course and the location. DC Ranch is a nice place. I had one goal and one goal only for this race: Cross the finish line before Christian. I woke up and ate more than my usual carbs in an effort to insure I had good energy. When the gun went off, I immediately moved ahead of Christian and attempted to stay there. I wanted to show him how things were going to go down in this race. He quickly pulled up beside me. Christian is almost as tall as I am and weights 125 lbs. I currently weight 245 lbs. I am hauling 120 lbs. more than him. He hauls one Christian and I am hauling 2 Christians. This means I have to work a lot harder than he does. We hit a steady incline and I know he does not do well on climbs so I pushed which started me red-lining a bit. I was trying to stay just under my threshold. No one will ever know the depths of pain I must endure to beat that kid. I do not think most people appreciate how much a 5k can hurt.  Sure it is only 3.1 miles, but run that entire distance as fast as you can and you will find pain. Of course you are not sprinting all out, but you have to run hard and continue to do it for what gets to seem like a very long time. I have to run it in a zone that starts to slowly put me into oxygen deprivation. The oxygen debt grows as does the pain.  The pain starts to become greater and greater and I have to constantly force the body not to drop off in intensity as the body naturally starts to ease up in response to the bad things that begin to happen as oxygen gets scarcer and scarcer in the cells. You must stay very vigilant forcing the intensity further and further as the body rebels. Your body begins to hurt on a cellular level. Easing up a little becomes so tempting. I have to fight it with every gram of my being. I do things like envision Christian right on my heals. I have to tell myself that all the pain I have already endured and suffered will be for nothing if I don’t continue to endure even more. Don’t waste the pain you have already endured, I tell myself, by giving in to the pain now. As the oxygen debt reaches greater and greater levels, the body begins to divert blood and oxygen away from non-essential areas. This creates pain and difficulty thinking as one of those areas becomes your brain. Sometimes you begin to fear you might just totally collapse.

I stayed ahead of Christian until we reached the top of the incline. At the top of the incline there was a turn around and I know would get a chance to see how much distance I had put between me and Christian. At the turn around I was disappointed to see that I had only put 20 yards between us. I had already paid a costly price climbing the hill at such intensity. I looked at my watch and I was just over an eight minute mile. This was good time for me considering my running shape and the fact that we were running uphill. I worried that it may have been too fast and cost me too much. I still had two miles to go and I was already hurting more than I wanted to at this point.

The last 5k race we did Christian was about 20 yards behind me a mile into the race and we also had a turn-around where he was approximately 20 yards behind me. In that race he quickly closed the gap, passed me and there was nothing I could do to answer. I knew that Christian would have a psychological boost seeing the race playing out exactly the way it had last time we raced this distance.

Seeing Christian only 20 yards behind me meant two things: 1) I was going to have to concede this race and vow to lose weight before I could give him a run for his money, or 2) I was going to have to suffer some incredible pain to stay ahead of him. I chose the latter. We hit a downhill portion. Sometimes Christian fails to use the downhill portions of races to his advantage. Christian like many runners, see a downhill stretch as an opportunity to recover a bit, or just a welcome the release from the pain climbing induces. They keep their normal pace and suddenly it feels easier. Psychologically they feel good about their running because they are maintaining their pace. Just as on the bike, I use gravity to my advantage. On the bike I work incredibly hard during downhill portions. In a 5k I do the same on downhill portions. I maintain the intensity and the pain. I seek to make sure the downhill does not feel any better than the hill I just climbed. This translates to increased speed. Because I am so heavy this only works for me on slight down hills, anything steep and I can’t run it hard without risking injury. This was downhill but not steep and I worked it hard. Christian would later tell me that this is where I got away from him and he got discouraged. I never look back so I had no idea that I had put some more serious space between us. After a mile of some slight downhill and a couple of flat spots we hit the third mile. I had expected and mentally prepared for a downhill finish. This was a common thought among some of the others runners I spoke to after the race. We were not prepared for the challenges the last mile held.

When we left the start area we climbed for the first mile, so somehow I was expecting the last mile to mirror the first in the other direction. After all, what goes up must come down, Right? Apparently we had lost all our elevation in the second mile, because the third mile was a series of short but steeper inclines. Now these were not killer hills, but I had been running in oxygen deprivation for over two miles and even small hills can destroy a cardiovascular system when it is already been pushed to its limits. Oh those hills hurt. I took them with a concentrated effort not to slow my pace. I never run with a heart rate monitor for a good reason. I would look down at moments like these and see my heart exploding and back off for fear of having a heart attack. With no heart rate monitor to warn you, there are no limits.

I pushed myself into a place no one wants to be. I was fearful that Christian had been conservative and waiting for the last mile to hit the gas. His air light frame could climb these hills much easier than me if he was willing to hurt a little. I also knew that the last 400 yards was a significant downhill run to the finish where Christian could defiantly out sprint me. I had to leave him behind with no hope of closing the gap on these hills. Excruciating pain on a cellular level engulfed my body. Although it was a cool morning and I had only been running for 20 minutes or so, sweat was flying off my elbows as I swung my arms to the rhythm of my legs. Ascending those hill I felt like I was in danger of passing out. The lengths a father must go in order to save face.

I managed to cross the finish line 14 seconds ahead of Christian. I know he was chasing me hard because he collapsed on the ground right after he crossed the finish line. I ended up with an 8:03 per mile average which isn’t too bad considering my weight, my fitness and the hills. It took me a full 10 minutes to recover. I was deeply anaerobic by the end of that race.

Christian never pushes himself harder than when he is racing me and visa versa. I am not sure if it a healthy father son relationship or not, but in these races neither of us wants to lose to the other. Our competitive relationship does to bring out the fastest times in us both. Christian placed 1st in his age category of 13-19. I fell short of a medal with 4th in my age category. There were only 11 people that crossed the finish line in front of me in this race and half of them were in my age category. Two of them got pulled out of my age category because they were in the top three over-all. I hate my age category. At least next year I get to move up to 45-50. I will be a young guy in and old category as opposed to an old guy in a young category that just happens to be consistently the most competitive age category out there.