December 15, 2012

12k's of Christmas


 

Gilbert, Arizona


I wanted to make sure I did this race for one reason. This race is still using the word 'Christmas'. I would support the race for that alone. It is just a bonus that it is a few minutes away right here in Gilbert. This was the last race of 2012. That wraps 2012.  12k’s is about 7.5 miles. The forecast was for 90% showers for the race. That did not seem to deter anybody however. The good news was that although it had rained for several days before the race it was not that cold. As it turned out, we ran in a very light sprinkle. The race conditions were actually very nice, especially for a big fatty like me. The hardest part of the race was that much of the course takes place on dirt track, but today it was mud which made running more difficult. You could swing wide and onto the grass, but it was pretty muddy and soggy too. My calves were burning after just the first mile. I was grateful for asphalt or cement when available. There was also a lot of puddle dodging going on. I ran this race a lot slower than last year but I was just glad to be able to finish running strong. I haven’t successfully run more than 3 miles since Deuceman in early September.